Col Sean B. O’Brien is Deputy Chair of the National Security Industrial Base Department, and teaches Advanced Manufacturing, strategy, industry analytics courses, and the Think Tanks elective at the Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy at National Defense University, Ft. McNair, Washington D.C.
He received his commission through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps at the University of Wyoming. Prior to his current assignment, he had various assignments on the Joint Staff, to include Executive Assistant for the Director for Intelligence, and Chairman of the Battlespace Awareness Working Group, a formal body reviewing all Department of Defense intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance requirements for the Joint Requirements Oversight Council. He was also Commander of the 607th Air Intelligence Squadron and then the 6th Intelligence Squadron at Osan AB, Republic of Korea where he led intelligence support to the Air Operations Center, as well as U-2 and national imagery operations. His combat deployments include: lead wing Intelligence Flight Commander, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar during the major combat operations phase of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM; imagery chief, Joint Analysis Center, RAF Molesworth, U.K. for Operation ALLIED FORCE in Kosovo; Ground Component Chief of Targeting, Allied Rapid Reaction Corps, Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina for Operation JOINT ENDEAVOR; Chief of Intelligence, 429th Electronic Combat Squadron, King Abdul Aziz Air Base, Saudi Arabia for Operation SOUTHERN WATCH, and at Incirlik Air Base, Turkey for Operation PROVIDE COMFORT.
2012 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, The Eisenhower School
2006 Air War College
2005 U.S. Army Command and General Staff College
2002 Air Command and Staff College
1997 Master of Public Administration, University of Oklahoma
1996 Squadron Officer School
1990 Bachelor of Science in Political Science, University of Wyoming
1. 2012- 2015, Chief, Current Intelligence Division, Directorate of Intelligence, United States Transportation Command, Scott AFB, IL.
2. 2011- 2012, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, The Eisenhower School , National Defense University, Ft McNair, Washington D.C.
3. 2009- 2011, Executive Assistant to Joint Staff J2; Deputy Director for Intelligence, National Military Command Center; Chief, Intelligence Requirements Division; Chair, Battlespace Awareness Working Group, the Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
4. 2007- 2009, Commander, 607th and 6th Intelligence Squadrons, Osan AB, Republic of Korea.
5. 2005 – 2007, Executive Officer, Directorate of Intelligence, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, VA.
6. 2004 – 2005, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, KS.
7. 2003 – 2004, Director of Operations, Air Intelligence Squadron, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, IL.
8. 2001 – 2003, Intelligence Flight Commander, Seymour Johnson AFB, NC.
9. 1998 – 2001, Executive Officer, Directorate of Intelligence, Headquarters Air Force, Pentagon, VA.
10. 1994 – 1998, Chief, Tactical Aviation Section, Offutt AFB, NE.
11. 1992 – 1994, Chief, 429th Electronic Combat Squadron, Cannon AFB, NM.
12. 1991 – 1992, Student, Intelligence Officer Course, Goodfellow AFB, TX.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal, four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal, one oak lead cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal, one oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal, two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award, one oak lead cluster
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award, one oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
March 2012, Colonel
October 2006, Lieutenant Colonel
December 2001, Major
November 1994, Captain
November 1992, First Lieutenant
May 1990, Commissioned Second Lieutenant (AFROTC)